Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Vancouver

It has taken me a while to get caught up here at home after my trip to Vancouver, so these pictures are a little tardy. I went to Vancouver for a conference the last week of March. It was quite pretty, but a lot of things would have been simpler if we had gone to Seattle instead (money conversion, cell phones, hotel room size, etc). It is a very pretty city though, and aside from the day that it sleeted, the weather was pretty nice too. I even got to enjoy a little snow. Here is the view flying into Vancouver.


I went to a really nice park with some of my friends for part of an afternoon. I think it was called Stanley Park. Here is a picture from my walk in Stanley Park.


The park is famous for its totem poles. Here I am in front of some of them. they were really fantastic to look at. There is a little stream that separates the totems from the viewing area, which keeps people from touching them and trying to climb them. (The kids who were looking at the totem poles at the same time as I was were quite disappointed.)


This stream is used by salmon to spawn. Unfortunately, they were not spawning when I was there. But it is still a very pretty stream.


One of the most beautiful parts of Vancouver is the mountains. It was usually too cloudy to see them, but we did have a couple clear morning hours. The building that looks like it is made of giant white sails is the conference center where the meetings were held. The brown lines at the picture's base are train tracks. Just beyond the conference center is a large bay, although it is not visible from this angle.

No comments: