Sunday, July 11, 2010

Taking in a show

For several months now, Brian and I have been planning to see a show in NYC. (This was actually a Christmas present for us from my parents. Thanks Mom & Dad!) I picked us a show to see and we finally decided on a day. That morning, I went to go buy us tickets. We used a system called TKTS, which sells tickets for the same day at a discount. TKTS has a couple different locations; I decided to go to the one in Seaport because it is usually less busy than the one in Times Square. The office opened at 11 a.m., and I was there by 11:15 or so. I only had to wait in line for about 15-20 minutes, but the line was outside in the hot sun during the heat wave, so it seemed longer. After picking up the tickets, I walked a couple blocks further to the South Street Seaport area. It ended up being a mall on the coast of the East River. It was nice to get out of the heat for a little while, and the area offered great views.

The Brooklyn Bridge (front) and Manhattan Bridge (behind), looking across the river to Brooklyn:
Part of Lower Manhattan, from the coast (looking slightly north):
More lower Manhattan (looking slightly south), with the masts of a couple ships docked at Seaport:

That evening, Brian and I headed to the theater district. We saw Avenue Q, which is a show about adapting to life after college. The show has some human charecters and some muppet charecters. We both really enjoyed it.

After the show, we walked to a nearby icecream shop for a treat. We ate our icecream in chairs in front of the shop (Brian said we were the perfect advertisement for them). I insisted on a picture, and Brian made this face:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've become true New Yorkers. How will they keep you down on the farm now that you've seen Paris?

Dad S

Amanda said...

Hello, we're going to be in NYC for a weekend July 31st - Aug 2 with some friends. Any chance that you would have an hour or two to say hi? I'm not completely sure what our schedule is yet though.